Wednesday 6 April 2016

Illuminae


Does this book cover draw you in or put you off?

I'm a big believer in the importance of reading outside of your comfort zone . . . not all the time, but certainly once in a while.  Although I've enjoyed some science fiction books, sci-fi is definitely not the first genre I'm drawn to.  I was never that kid watching Star Trek.  But sometimes, it really is invigorating to be shaken out of one's comfortable reading groove.

It's difficult to categorize either the plot or the appeal of Illuminae, but I'm pretty sure that most reviewers will resort to the word 'original' at some point.  It combines a science fiction technology and time-frame with a post apocalyptic virus run amok . . . not to mention an operating system with a God complex.  There are war games, mysteries galore, paranoia to spare, and incredibly creative graphic elements that piece the story together.  Usually graphic novels are easier to read than traditional prose, but not this one.  It reminded me that science fiction reading preferences are definitely associated with high IQs.  I struggled to follow all of the technical bits -- which is where the average computer-savvy 17 year old will probably be way ahead of me -- but the romance, suspense and humour were strong enough to keep me engaged as a reader.  The main characters, on-off couple Kady (a gifted hacker) and Ezra (athlete turned fighter pilot), are strong, smart, brave and quick with the witty IM banter.

Definitely recommended for older teens, especially the hard to please male contingent, anyone who likes science fiction and those readers who want to try something really 2575.




Click icon for more
book review blogs
@Barrie Summy

14 comments:

  1. I actually like this cover, although it does make me wonder what the heck the book is supposed to be about. It sounds like a pretty compelling read though, and I like science fiction (especially anything to do with a post-apocalyptic virus run amok). Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book should be right up your alley. There is some good humour in it, too. I'd be interested to know if the graphic elements add to or detract from the storyline for you.

      Delete
  2. Interesting! And interesting, too, that both you and Stacy Nyikos reviewed YA sci fi this month. You two must've had some weird cross-Atlantic sci-fi connection going on! And I'm always looking for books difficult-to-hook males will like. :) To answer your question, the cover does not appeal to me. Personally, I go through stages of reading sci fi. I'm not in one now, which means there's one just around the corner. :) And I will take note of this title. Thanks for reviewing! (And sorry for the rambling comment!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barrie, have you read The Martian yet? That is my next sci-fi book. I've heard such good things about it. This one had too much tech in it for my reading comfort, but I think lots of people will like it.

      Delete
  3. This sounds very original and a good book to pull in kids who spend more time coding and gaming than reading. It wouldn't be on my list so I'm grateful that you took the time to review it. Like Rob, I like the cover because it draws my attention, making me ask questions. I read some sci fi as a kid, through my dad and brother, but these days I don't find it as appealing as realistic fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with you that teen or young adult readers with coding/gaming enthusiasms will probably really like this book . . . and find it much easier reading than I did!

      Delete
  4. PS nice to have you back online! I've missed your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I'm spending all of my social media time on Instagram these days. I find it difficult to manage more than one form of social media AND do anything else with my life.

      Delete
  5. I am also a huge believer in reading outside your comfort zone, yet I find that I don't often do so. I'm always thinking, "But I need to read Books X, Y, and Z first!"

    So congrats on trying something newish and liking it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For two years I've almost exclusively read YA, but I'm trying to read more of my own interests. What that means is that I'm usually reading about 3 books at a time and seem to have little time for anything else!

      Delete
  6. Whoa, this has it all! Definitely on the list. Thanks for the review--very brave of you to leave that comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellen! Yes, they took all of the sci-fi elements and mixed them liberally.

      Delete
  7. I'm not crazy about the cover, but the book sounds interesting, and maybe something my great nephew would like. Good review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to hear back from adolescent boys on this one! How old is your nephew, Linda?

      Delete